Monday, August 15, 2005

Regrouping

I decided to move down to the 33 Sits at Party to rebuild the bankroll and my confidence. I really hate not having the extra 200 in starting chips but the level of skill in the 33's is so much lower that it makes up for it. Starting Friday I played 19 tournaments and cashed in 11 of them. 2 Firsts, 2 Seconds, and 7 Thirds. I made $273. Not a ton of money, but over the last week I have built up the party poker bankroll back to $1800 from a low of approximately $1200.

I still have no clue what I am doing heads up. I am basically just trying to mix things up with my bet amounts and my bluffs. Usually it's so late in the game that there is really no move except to go all in.

Here are the differences between the 33 and 55 sits:
1. There are at least 2 players in the 33's who will go broke within 10 hands. It is a great advantage if you can be one of the lucky recipients of their stupidity.
2. They play super tight when it gets to 5 handed and like to min raise when the proper bet is all in.

I think I am playing a little better, but it's probably also that my luck has been a little better as well.

Here are the problem's I am still having:
1. I still feel I should have more firsts and less seconds and thirds. Part of this is that I play tight so its unusual for me to be the chip leader when it gets to 3 players. The other part is that I am probably making some mistakes in timing my pushes to steal blinds.

2. Overpairs. I have been chastised plenty on message boards for thinking of folding KK with a board of 10-7-3 when someone goes all in or raises me all in. I have been calling more and I would say that 2/3 to 3/4 of the time I am in the lead. Yes I run into the set on occasion but I guess that's why they call it gambling.

3. When does it make sense to semibluff a flush draw? I always seem to make this play at the wrong time. I hardly ever hit my flush. When I lead out, I get raised and then I am forced to call because of the pot odds. When I check, my opponent seems to price me out of the pot. Maybe I need to semibluff when my opponents seem to be weaker? Like maybe after an unraised pot preflop? A check through on the flop?

I also signed up on a rakeback site that got me on Full Tilt. The last time I played there it was impossible to hit the bonus. I logged on, and it looks like more of the same. I thought with all their advertising during the WSOP they would have more players. Apparently not. As soon as I get my money from Poker Stars I will give it another shot. My back is almost healthy enough to play at my desk, so maybe I will just set up Full Tilt on one screen and Noble on the other and do some bonus whoring.

No comments: